All you need to know
* The BJP-led NDA’s nominee is Harivansh Narayan Singh of the JD(U). He is a Parliamentarian from Bihar and a former journalist. In nominating a JD(U) candidate, the BJP is trying to achieve out to its allies who’ve been complaining about being overlooked.
* Who the opposition’s candidate can be continues to be unclear. The NCP’s Vandana Chavan was one identify being floated within the hope that the Shiv Sena will again her as a result of she’s from Maharashtra. One other identify being floated is that of Congress MP from Karnataka BK Hariprasad. On Wednesday morning, unnamed sources instructed information company ANI that Hariprasad would be the Congress candidate.
* Following the failed no-confidence movement towards the federal government within the Lok Sabha final month, the competition for the put up of RS deputy chairman is the following large take a look at of opposition unity.
* The BJP would, after all, discover it advantageous to have its candidate win as a result of then the chairman (Venkaiah Naidu) and his deputy would each be their selections.
* For the Congress, retaining the put up would come as a giant enhance. As well as, if it will get help from different opposition events, that might level to a constructing of opposition unity.
* However how do the numbers stack up? The present energy of the Rajya Sabha is 244, so the help of 123 members could be wanted for a win. That’s, if it is a full home, which will not be the case because the demise Tuesday evening of DMK supremo M Karunanidhi in Chennai.
* The dearth of majority within the Rajya Sabha has been a giant downside for the BJP. The BJP-led NDA has 93 MPs, together with these from the Shiv Sena with whom it is not precisely chummy today. As nicely, it is being mentioned the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) is displeased with the BJP’s selection of a JD(U) candidate over its personal MP Naresh Gujral. BJP members are mentioned to have reached out to SAD. Not supporting the NDA, it was identified, would solely compromise the Akalis of their struggle with their chief rival, the Congress get together.
* The Congress is the biggest get together within the RS with 50 seats. The opposition, together with the Congress, claims it has 114 votes on its aspect, together with two from the YSR Congress. The Congress-led UPA plus regional events’ tally is 118.
* In what wouldn’t be good for the Congress, there may be hypothesis that Mamata Banerjee’s Trinamool Congress just isn’t in favour of opposing the JD(U) candidate as a result of it does not wish to immediately confront JD(U) chief Nitish Kumar’s get together.
* In the meantime, there are no less than 37 MPs who can tilt the steadiness. They’re the AIADMK (13), BJD (9), TRS (6), PDP (2), INLD (1) and independents (6). On this scenario, which get together abstains and who actively helps which camp can be equally necessary.
* The BJD (with 9 seats) is more likely to help the ruling coalition’s nominee, per information that emerged Tuesday night. Nitish is alleged to have spoken with BJD chief Naveen Patnaik and this led to expectations the BJD will again the NDA though there was no formal announcement.
* With out the BJD, the NDA’s tally is a shade wanting that of the UPA plus regional events’ 118. Some sources mentioned the help of the AIADMK’s 13 and the TRS’s six MPs is all however within the bag for the NDA.